Saturday, November 14, 2009

12 Days of Thanksgiving

**********Okay, so maybe I am posting this on both of my blogs. So what?

Which leads me to the next point that some of you have voted on the poll that you didn't get an invite to the private blog. If you want one, you need to let me know. If you don't care, well then, fine. Otherwise, you'll need to email me or post a comment. I moderate the comments won't post your personal information and if I accidentally DO post it instead I'll just delete it. Not that that's ever happened to me, it's just hypothetical. If you wanted an invite and didn't get one, I might have sent it to the wrong email address. Just let me know.

And now on with the actual post.**********

And really, gentle reader, why don't we celebrate the twelve days of Thanksgiving? True, I hadn't even thought of such a thing before I just spent a few hours working on my talk for church tomorrow about gratitude (and the Sabbath day of all things. That was the hardest to work in there. Seeing as how Sunday is NOT a day of rest for me, it's hard to really call it a day of gratitude either. But then, I also have a really bad attitude about most things. I digress.) and there I was, thinking to myself, hey, why don't we have a twelve days of Thanksgiving? I mean, seriously?

I think I complain about this every year: that Thanksgiving is being assaulted by the commercialization of Christmas. And Halloween. But if you think about it, Thanksgiving is a really good lead-in for Christmas. Being thankful for things may necessarily lead us on to being thankful for a Savior and for his Atonement. Which is never a bad thing to remember to be thankful for. So here, in my own little home, I will be kind of celebrating the Twelve Days of Thanksgiving. Kind of because I think I'll probably forget I was trying to be thankful and will likely spend a good deal of time not being thankful for anything. But it's worth an effort.

So, today I am thankful for two little curly-headed people who live in my house and spend all day everyday with me. They truly are worth waking up for in the morning (not that they give you the option).

3 comments:

Biz said...

Hez, I'm slow on checking my gmail account. I didn't get an invite. I would sure like one. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I don't want to be left out.

Unknown said...

Bob,
I certainly didn't expect to find a heart-warming post when I clicked on your blog today. It must be because you saw me yesterday. Just kidding. Do you know, I was tempted to click on the "No, I'm creepy and wasn't invited," spot on your poll, but didn't. It would have at least been funny, right?
Bob

nikki said...

Great idea! and I totally understand about being so thankful for the little ones in our lives. Even though I am not excited about waking up - their little smiles and inquiries about breakfast sure do start the day out right.